Moe’s Original BBQ in Asheville, NC is one of several locations in the country, most of which are concentrated in the southeast. It was started by three friends who met as students at the University of Alabama, and their passion for serving traditional southern barbecue and hospitality comes through in every aspect of the restaurant.
It’s no surprise then that Moe’s Original specializes in Alabama-style barbecue, which means you will find plenty of delicious, smoky pulled pork. Their pork shoulder is smoked for hours at a low temperature over real hardwood for that classic southern barbecue flavor, and it is unctuous and dressed in just the right amount of sauce. The succulent ribs are also a standout, and will surely please anyone who loves biting into a rib torn off of a perfectly smoked rack. Moe’s serves St. Louis-style ribs, which are slightly larger and meatier than the baby-back ribs you find in some barbecue joints.
Most of the barbecue meats (ribs excluded) can be served on a sandwich or as a platter. Moe’s Original BBQ also offers two scratch-made sauces to accompany your meats. The first is along the lines of what people consider a “classic” barbecue sauce; it’s tomato-based with a nice balance of sweetness and tang.
The second is one is an Alabama white barbecue sauce that many people unacquainted with Alabama barbecue may be unfamiliar with, although it has been gaining more national popularity in recent years. The white barbecue sauce is somewhat similar to cole slaw dressing, and it has a luscious, creamy texture that elevates any barbecue dish. The Alabama white barbecue sauce is a perfect complement to Moe’s smoked chicken and turkey, but it goes great with any of their meats as well.
Also, while the various smoked meats deservedly get a lot of attention, no trip to Moe’s is complete without trying a few (or all!) of their distinctive barbecue sides. Some of the notable sides offered include:
- Mac and cheese—For many people, no barbecue meal is complete without a serving of gooey mac and cheese, and this version hits all the right notes
- Cornbread—Crusty on the outside and tender in the middle, this cornbread is the perfect accompaniment for soaking up sauces
- Collard greens—The slow-cooked collard greens at Moe’s will definitely have you wanting to eat your vegetables
- Banana pudding—A true classic of the deep south; there’s no better way to round out your meal
In addition to the smorgasboard of delicious food, Moe’s Original BBQ also keeps customers coming back because of their friendly and consistent service. The food always comes out quick and fresh, and the staff is always ready to help you have a great experience. If you’re new to barbecue or unsure what to order, just ask a staff member and they’ll be happy to guide you.
Moe’s Original BBQ is located in the Biltmore Village area of Asheville, which means it is close to many other attractions such as shops, live entertainment, and more. It is absolutely a must-visit if you’re in the area and in need of fantastic southern barbecue cooked the old-fashioned way, and plenty of southern hospitality to go along with it.
- In addition to their stable of consistent sides, Moe’s also offers a few special sides that rotate daily. They’re usually written on a board in the restaurant, but make sure you ask because you don’t want to miss out on these specialties.
- Moe’s Original BBQ also offers catering services and large-format to-go dishes. If you’re planning an event in the area, such as a family reunion, rehearsal dinner, or anniversary party, they can create an unforgettable meal for your guests.