With its sit-down service in the main dining and counter areas, plus a drive-thru, Steak ‘n Shake offers a unique combination of diner-style food served fast. Although the restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the most popular items on the menu are the burgers and milkshakes. In fact, the restaurant’s slogan is “Famous for Steakburgers” because of its most prominent menu item, the Steakburger. This burger got its name because it’s made with a mixture of round, sirloin, and T-bone steaks.
If you happen to stop by Steak ‘n Shake for breakfast, you’ll find a menu full of classic favorites. There are pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, eggs, biscuits, and breakfast bowls. However, if you really want to treat yourself, go for one of the breakfast shakes. Each shake starts with hand-scooped vanilla ice cream and is then combined with a generous portion of a popular cereal, such as Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Krispies, Honey Smacks, or a cinnamon crunch. Each shake then gets topped off with whipped cream and a cherry. If you need a little kick-start in the morning, there’s also a caramel frappe breakfast shake.
When it’s time for lunch or dinner and you want a classic American meal, Steak ‘n Shake has you covered. The original Steakburger is one of the most popular items on the menu and comes with single, double, or triple patties. However, you’ll also find specialty Steakburgers for something new and different. For a little extra spice, the Jalapeño Crunch Steakburger ‘n Fries comes with two seasoned Steakburgers topped with pepper jack cheese, chipotle mayonnaise, jalapeños, fresh salsa, and French’s French Fried Onions.
Children also have their own menu that includes options such as Steakburger Minis, grilled cheese, mini corn dogs, and chicken fingers. All children’s plates also come with a choice of applesauce or fries.
You’re missing out if you stop by Steak ‘n Shake and don’t order one of the milkshakes for dessert. The restaurant has been making the classic shakes the same way since 1934, and you’ll find flavors that include chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, banana, and orange. There’s also an extensive menu of specialty milkshakes. For a sweet treat, consider the Oreo Mint Cookies ‘N Cream, Kit Kat Milkshake, Nutella shake, or Nestle Butterfinger shake.
If you’re having trouble narrowing down your choices, check out some of our favorites:
- Cheddar Scrambler: Three eggs scrambled with cheddar and jack cheese, sausage crumbles, and grilled onions. Served with either shredded or silver dollar hash browns and your choice of toast, buttermilk biscuit, or bagel.
- The Original Double ‘n Cheese Steakburger ‘n Fries: Two grilled Steakburgers topped with American cheese and your choice of toppings. Served on a toasted bun with fries on the side.
- Cajun Double Steakburger ‘n Fries: Two Steakburger patties topped with melted American cheese and spicy Cajun sauce. Served on a toasted bun topped with zesty Cajun seasoning and a side of fries.
- Chili Cheese Footlong Hot Dog ‘n Fries: A grilled 12-inch hot dog topped with slow-simmered chili, shredded cheddar and jack cheese, and diced onions. Served with a side of fries.
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich: A grilled chicken breast topped with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise and served with a side of fries.
- Although Steak ‘n Shake has a drive-thru, it’s known for being a little slow. If you’re in a hurry, you can order your meal online and pick it up at the restaurant.