Are you looking for an opportunity to escape the crowds of Cades Cove and get closer to nature? Horseback riding at the Cades Cove Riding Stables is the perfect option!
Each trail ride, which last approximately one hour, is an intimate group of nine or less riders. The small group creates a family-like experience and increases the chance of viewing Cades Cove wildlife in its natural habitat. All rides are guided by an equestrian and area expert that narrates the adventure.
The horses, which are trained not to gallop, provide a docile ride that is appropriate for children (6+ years) and inexperienced riders. Even if you have never ridden a horse before, the gentle horses, slow pace, and expert guides are sure to make your feel comfortable. Prior to the beginning of your trail ride, the guide will provide a thorough orientation and answer any questions you might have.
During the ride, you will enter an old growth forest and will likely encounter wildlife. Keep your eyes open – it is not uncommon to see turkeys, deer, bears, groundhogs, and other wildlife! On the guided tour, you will also visit historic structures, experience immersive mountain views, pass mountain streams, and discover the peace of the surrounding mountains and this special area.
The guided horseback tour is operated by an officially licensed National Park Service Concessioner daily between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm from early March to late November. Although the wait times can be lengthy on peak days, the concessioner does not accept reservations. The meeting spot and stables are located near the entrance to the Cades Cove Loop by the Cades Cove Campground.
7 Cades Cove Horseback Riding Tips:
- No cameras or phones are allowed on the excursion
- All riders must be at least six years old and four feet tall
- There is a minimum height requirement of 48 inches
- The maximum allowable weight is 250 pounds
- Provided helmets are recommended for all riders and required for those 16 years or younger
- Double riding is not permitted – If you have young children, consider a hayride instead
- For your comfort and safety, it is recommended that you wear closed-toe shoes with a 1/2-inch heel, jeans, and don’t bring backpacks or purses
Horseback riding at Cades Cove is an unforgettable experience that you and your family will love!
*Photos and review produced by our on staff journalists who are in no way affiliated with the brand reviewed on this page. Additional images fully licensed with permission by author.