Due to a conflict and resulting division at the Primitive Baptist Church, the Missionary Baptist Church was formed in 1841. Even though the congregants had no church building to meet at, the group of original members alternated meeting at each others’ homes.
During the Civil War, the church was not able to safely meet due to political discourse. Following the Civil War, the revival circuit was in full swing and the church experienced solid growth.
In 1894, over 50 years after being established, the church was finally able to construct its own building on Hyatt Hill. Shortly thereafter, the membership of the church steadily grew from 40 members to over 100 members. As a result, the church needed a larger building and constructed the current building. The Missionary Baptist Church on Cades Cove Loop Road was completed in 1915.
*Photos and review produced by our on staff journalists who are in no way affiliated with the brand reviewed on this page.